With a new year comes new challenges, goals, mistakes and successes. Here are tips for you and your kids.
1. Reading key material before the classroom lesson and discussion on the topic.
2. Reflecting on your thinking as you review notes to identify what information is clear and what might be confusing.
3.Creating index cards with concepts that you want to retain for additional review.
4. Checking your understanding as you read and rereading to clarify.
5. Reviewing the index cards in different locations -- at home, in the school library, and with friends in a study group -- to tap into "location memory"
6. Noticing your understanding of what you read the night before evolves during a classroom discussion.
7. Asking for clarification from the teacher.
Thoroughly reviewing class notes, index cards, and the textbook again the night before a test.
8."Rehearsing" his developing knowledge by explaining key concepts to himself or to a peer (in effect, thinking from the perspective of a teacher as well as a student).
For more, check out the following article - Inspiring Progress Toward Learning Goals